Stranger Things Season 2: Netflix Release Date, Cast, Trailers, And Everything You’ll Ever Need To Know
After everyone became obsessed with breakout Netflix hit Stranger Things, the next question after watching it was when is the Stranger Things season 2 release? Well, after a teaser trailer aired and revealed absolutely zilch, much more has since been unveiled.
We now know the answer to the question “Will there be a season 2 of Stranger Things?” but we also have a whole host of other questions that need answering after the first full look at the Stranger Things season 2 trailer came during Superbowl 51.
So let’s take a look at what’s been revealed so far.
Stranger Things Season 2 Release Date
We can gather from the Stranger Things trailer (above) that it will hit Netflix on Halloween, so that gives us a Stranger Things season 2 date of Tuesday 31st October 2017.
Here’s the tweet (below) from the Stranger Things Twitter page that started it all off:
1984 is going to be a strange year. pic.twitter.com/cD2usFZRKJ
— Stranger Things (@Stranger_Things) January 1, 2017
As you can imagine it wasn’t long before some of the fans reacted accordingly to the news:
— Shahadi W. Joseph (@ShahadiJo) January 1, 2017
— Michael Reed (@xXDanteHicksXx) January 1, 2017
— harryis23i'mnotokay (@lightupmylwt) January 1, 2017
— Debbie (@binhamsn) January 1, 2017
— Chelsea Montelongo (@Dunbar3213) January 1, 2017
Stranger Things Cast
For season 2 Stranger Things the whole gang (Eleven, Mike, Will, Lucas, Dustin, Nancy, Steve and Jonathan) will all be back, along with Will’s mom Joyce and Sheriff Hopper, but the cast of Strangers Things is set to change too.
They’ll be new characters which will include two new students at Hawkins Middle School. These will be brother and sister Billy and Max, played by Dacre Montgomery and Sadie Sink.
Other new cast members include The Goonies Sean Astin who will play a character called Bob Newby. He’s going out with Will’s mom Joyce and is described as a “kindhearted former nerd who went to high school with Joyce (Winona Ryder) and Hopper (David Harbour) and now manages the local Hawkins RadioShack.”
Also Danish actress Linnea Berthelsen will play a woman called Roman and is described by Netflix as “an emotionally damaged, magnetic young woman who suffered a great loss as a child. Although she does not live in Hawkins, she is mysteriously connected to the supernatural events at the lab…”
There’s also Paul Reiser, who starred in Aliens, starring as Dr. Owen who is described according to EW, as “a high-ranking member within the Department of Energy on a ‘clean-up’ assignment, tasked with containing the events of last year.”
And lastly there’s actor Brett Gelman who will play a new character called Murray Bauman “a disgraced journalist-turned-conspiracy theorist who is investigating a cold case in the small Indiana town.”
“There’s definitely a handful of really compelling new characters this season, but absolutely servicing the core group first and foremost,” the show’s executive producer Shawn Levy previously told The Hollywood Reporter. “Like the show itself, it’s multigenerational new characters and really, really intriguing ones.”
— Linnea Berthelsen (@linnea_bert) August 7, 2016
Stranger Things Episodes
Netflix Stranger Things season 2 will contain nine episodes and they will have the following titles:
1 – ‘Madmax’
2 – ‘The Boy Who Came Back to Life’
3 – ‘The Pumpkin Patch’
4 – ‘The Palace’
5 – ‘The Storm’
6 – ‘The Pollywog’
7 – ‘The Secret Cabin’
8 – ‘The Brain’
9 – ‘The Lost Brother’
As for what’s going to be in them, well of course there are plenty of Stranger Things theories flying around the internet but there have been some details, along with images (see below) released by Netflix relating to the first episode “Madmax.” The title itself refers to one of the new characters, 13-year-old girl Max played by Sadie Sink. After moving to Hawkins, Indiana from California with her brother Billy (Dacre Montgomery) (who it appears is going to be somewhat villainous), she befriends the boys and, according to Entertainment Weekly, Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin) and Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo) take a fancy to her.
The Duffer brothers, Matt and Russ, the show’s creators also revealed some other details about Stranger Things season 2 to Entertainment Weekly. They are:
- Stranger Things season 2 will take place in 1984, a year after the events of season 1 and the series will begin at Halloween. The boys’ Halloween costumes are Ghostbusters outfits, which they’re seen wearing in the trailer.
- The portal to the Upside Down is still open and so is the lab, which is now being run by another scientist—it’s ambiguous as to what’s happened to Dr. Brenner (Matthew Modine)—new cast member Dr. Owens (Paul Reiser). According to the Duffer Brothers Reiser’s character is a direct nod to his disloyal, untrustworthy Burke from Aliens. “We want people to have those debates like, ‘Do you trust that guy or is he Burke?’” Ross Duffer says. “Paul was saying the reason James Cameron cast him is because he thought people would inherently trust him and it would be a twist.”
- Dustin gets to bond with a weird pet he acquires, a creature that is “not from this planet or this dimension.” The episode The Pollywog will probably deal with this, the pet likely being a tadpole-like form.
- Will (Noah Schnapp) is still suffering the effects of being in the Upside Down. According to Matt Duffer he’s seeing things from the Upside Down, but he doesn’t know if they’re real or just merely imagined. “It seems like he’s having some sort of post-traumatic stress disorder.” he says.
- Joyce Byers, Will’s mom, is still pretty harrowed, her main concern is protecting Will and his bro Jonathan (Charlie Heaton). She’s found a new beau in the form of aforementioned old high school bud, Bob (Sean Astin)
- Hopper (David Harbour) is trying to keep a lid on the happenings of last season to help Joyce and protect Will, which means covering up Barb’s (Shannon Purser) disappearance. “He’s struggling with the compromise that takes him to, having to lie and cover things up.” say the Duffers. While Nancy (Natalia Dyer) and Mike (Finn Wolfhard) are little more brooding in Stranger Things season 2, and are mourning the loss of Barb and Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown) and so are a bit messed up because of it.
- So what of Eleven? Well, she’s definitely going to feature in Stranger Things season 2 and be a big part. “I want people to know that she’s back and she’s a major part of the season and not know how or why,” co-creator Matt Duffer told Entertainment Weekly. “We do get into her story and backstory. We learn about where she came from and how she came into the world and the program that resulted in her.” While actor Brown who plays Eleven said that she has a storyline this season and it involves an “emotional transition.”
- As for the monsters, we did see in the trailer a multi-legged spider-like creature appearing in the sky, but that could just be one of Will’s visions. The Duffer brothers themselves have been coy about what monsters to expect, but have said Stranger Things season 2 will offer up “different kinds of horror.” With Matt saying it’s going to be a “little darker, and a little weirder” and producer Levy has talked about it being “next-level, some crazy stuff.” It’s thought the plot will feature plenty of nods to the cinema releases of 1984, which include Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, The Terminator, Ghostbusters of course, Gremlins (no doubt Dustin’s pet is a reference to this), The Karate Kid, The Last Starfighter, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.
Stranger Things Season 2 – Ghostbusters outfits. Image courtesy of Netflix
Stranger Things Season 2 – Will’s return to school. Image courtesy of Netflix
Stranger Things Season 2 – He doesn’t look too happy to be there. Image courtesy of Netflix
Stranger Things Season 2 – Nancy and Steve discover something shocking. Image courtesy of Netflix
Stranger Things Season 2 – Hopper is back on the case. Image courtesy of Netflix
Stranger Things Season 2 And Beyond
As for the future, well the Stranger Things Netflix phenomenon will hopefully continue for a few more seasons yet. According to Entertainment Weekly (again) who seem to have all the scoops when it comes to the show, they say:
Right now, the Duffers are envisioning Things will last four or five seasons but that can all change.
“Everything changes as we move forward so we’ll see,” says Ross Duffer. Adds Matt Duffer, “I want it to have a really finite ending. I don’t want it to be one of those shows that runs out of gas and they lose it because they’re losing interest. You wanna end when you’re on top.”
Much like season 1, the Duffers are aiming for Stranger Things 2 to feel like one long movie. Says Ross Duffer, “Hopefully you’ll come to the end of Stranger Things season 2 and feel fully satisfied and want more but you’ll feel like it has come to a conclusion. But also we’ve laid the ground work for further seasons.”
Stranger Things Season 2 – Coming to a screen near you not nearly quick enough.
Stranger Things Season 2 – Promo poster. Image courtesy of Netflix
Have you tasted the Gordon Ramsay Twitter roast yet? It’s his new dish and guaranteed to leave a bitter and sad taste in your mouth if you…
When it comes to bedroom antics, how to talk dirty is a big question because it’s something that can either be entirely mood-killing and cringeworthy, or it…
Lost Bob Marley live recordings from shows in London and Paris that took place between 1974 and 1978 have been restored after they were left unloved in…
The upcoming Star Wars Han Solo movie has started shooting and Disney recently released a photo of the main movie cast plus the directors, along with a…
When it comes to badass animals, a badass squirrel is probably way down on your list. But that might just be because you haven’t met the right…
Could it be possible that Donald trump can’t read? It’s common knowledge that President Donald Trump likes to watch TV, staying up late to ingest news that…
Many of us are capable of producing some vaguely cool photoshop effects when we put our mind to it, but it’s nothing compared to the artistry of…
For those of you waiting on Rick and Morty season 3, the release date, or awaiting the first sneak peek of the show with a Rick and…
So you want another drink, do you? Think you could stop whenever you wanted to? Did you know the extreme stages of alcoholism are terrifying? No? Then…
Meet Dragon Man who calls himself the “most armed man in America” and with a weapons cache that includes over 3,000 weapons he might be right. His…
Leningrad ‘Kolshik’ by Ilya Naishuller Is An Insane Video Showing A Catastrophe Unfolding In Reverse
A new music video called “Kolschik” for for Russian band Leningrad by Russian director Ilya Naishuller is a marvel of VFX (by Russian studio CGF), boldness, creativity,…
First there was Trump’s tiny hands, now we have whole Tiny Trump memes, which don’t just involve his hands being small, but his entire body. It’s the…